I decided it is time to set up a more structured calendar for posting on this blog. Tuesdays and Thursdays will have specific topics. Other days may become more structured, but for now I am trying this out.
Tuesday is Tasty.
Stuffed Tomatoes
Sounds like stuffed peppers right? I would say it is a lighter dish, not quite as hearty. We ordered a box of large tomatoes from Bountiful Basket, and I wanted to try something new with them. Not that a fresh tomato sauce cooked or uncooked, salsa, pico de gallo, and gazpacho aren't great options.
I have to say, I was nervous to try this one out. Not that America's Test Kitchen isn't reliable. I just felt like I was going out on a limb.
Verdict? It was amazing! Our mouths were doing little happy dances! The tomatoes are packed with flavor and goodness! I would suggest serving these with or over a plain or light pasta and maybe a small salad. These lovely stuffed tomatoes can stand on their own, but they need a little more substance if you are making them as a main dish.
Stuffed Tomatoes
By: America's Test Kitchen
By: America's Test Kitchen
Serves 6
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 1 hour 15 minutes (includes 1 hour salting and baking time)
6 large, firm, ripe tomatoes (8 ounces each)
salt
3 slices high-quality white sandwich bread
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup minced fresh basil (I only had dried, and it still turned out. Fresh = better.)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
pepper
1. Using a sharp knife, cut off the top 1/8 inch of the stem end of the tomato. Using your fingers or a paring knife, remove and discard the core and any seeds of the tomato. Sprinkle the inside of the cored tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pace upside down on several layers of paper towels and let drain for 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, adjust an oven rack to the upper-middle position and heat the oven to 375 degrees. Pulse the bread in a food processor to coarse crumbs, about 6 pulses. Spread the breadcrumbs over a rimmed baking sheet and bake until dry and lightly golden, about 10 minutes. Toss together the dried breadcrumbs, Parmesan, basil, 2 tablespoon of the oil, and the garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Pat the inside of each tomato dry with paper towels. Arrange the tomatoes, cut-side up, on a 9 by 13-inch baking dish lined with foil. Brush the cut edges of the tomatoes with 1 more tablespoon of the oil. Mound about 1/4 cup of the breadcrumb mixture into each tomato. Drizzle the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over the tops of the tomatoes. Bake until the tops are golden brown and crisp, about 20 minutes. Serve while hot.
Yum! We have a box of tomatoes right now, and so guess what I'm going to do with them?? :) I'm excited to try something new! Thanks for the post!
ReplyDelete