Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Tuesday is Tastey

Sorry for delay. The internet wasn't cooperating, but we have a new provider so things should stay on schedule.

Salad - The Good Stuff

I'm not sure what to call this one. It is one of those delicious salads tossed in poppy seed dressing. Please view the goodness:




This little baby was divine! It was a shame we only had 5 minutes to eat it. We did our best to savour each bite as we scarfed it down. Thankfully, I was still able to get a picture before it was gone!

Recipe: You can wing this one. It was so fresh and delicious and photogenic, I couldn't resist sharing.

     Half head of romaine
     Half bunch of spinach
3   Green onion, sliced
1/2 recipe of Our Best Bites poppy seed dressing
1/2 cup candied walnuts
1/2 cup strawberries, sliced
1 chicken breast cooked, seasoned to taste

1. Wash and cut romaine, spinach, and green onion. Toss in poppy seed dressing and set aside.

2. Cook walnuts until candied to perfection. (I followed instructions on this, and it took a lot more time than I was planning. The basic recipe is to put the nuts and sugar in a pan over medium heat, constantly stirring, until the sugar liquefies, caramelises, and looks amazing. To speed up the process, add a little butter and the sugar dissolves a lot quicker.) Do not put the warm, candied nuts on a paper towel sheet. Lesson learned...

3. Cut the chicken into good eating sizes. Use your judgement, but I like to cut the chicken in half to make it thinner before I slice and dice. It just makes it go farther.

4. To assemble, layer everything on and put the strawberries toward the top so they don't get mangled.



 If we had more time, I would have served a small bread on the side like bread sticks or muffins. Adding chicken to this salad made it suitable for a meal, and it was very filling. Did I mention delicious??

No comments:

Post a Comment