Saturday we decided to go on our first ever hike as residents of Moab! We had a list of things to get done, so we chose a relatively short hike. (It had nothing to do with the fact that we haven't exercised all winter long....)
So, we took the road Sean takes to work, and turned off at the Corona Arch Trail.
Can you see how excited we are??
At the beginning of the trail you cross the railroad tracks. It is so interesting to see the dynamite lines left in the canyon walls. (Apparently it is a neat path that goes through a mountain tunnel for about a mile. We were told not to take that path on Sundays, as that is the day the train goes through...)
Everywhere we looked, there was something interesting to look at. It was a beautiful morning for a hike.
I learned about a hobby hikers have here, or I guess Jeepers is their nickname. These people gather rocks, and stack them. Along the trail, there were random and beautiful piles of rocks. (My new hobby: finding the picture-worthy man-made stacks.)
| I tried to take a good picture of a well populated area of stacked rocks. There are 8 official Jeeper creations above. |
Enough about the trail. Here is our destination! Bow Tie Arch and Corona Arch:
Bow Tie Arch is impressive in size. Can you see the small person at the bottom? Amazing!
Here is Corona Arch. Not only was it a awe inspiring destination, but there was lovely shade under it. Next time we go there, I plan on bringing a lunch to eat and a book to read. It is a picturesque and serene spot.
One other thing about sitting under and around the arch: sound travels. It was interesting hearing some of the comments that were said in passing by some of the hikers (apparently one of our fellow hikers often urinates in public. Gross).
It was a successful first outing, and we plan on several more!
How have I missed your posts? This one has such great pictures! I feel like I went along with you on your hike. I don't like the urinating guy either, he's a bad hiker! Now to go catch up on your other posts....
ReplyDeleteIt is just beautiful there! Sure wish we could come and visit you guys this summer!
ReplyDelete