Sunday, October 30, 2011

A Bountiful Harvest

We've gotten into Bountiful Baskets here. It has been fun getting most of our produce every 2 weeks, and exploring new recipes with the different fruits and veggies. For instance, I had never really made anything with mangoes, tomatillos, eggplant, and kiwi. Figs?? No.

Here are the first few weeks of the basket:



See that nice box of tomatoes? It was a lot of tomatoes. It was nice to throw them in almost everything. We made several batches of salsa, and some spaghetti sauce. All fresh!

It was a lot of tomatoes though. Since I wasn't feeling motivated to can, it was decided that sun-dried tomatoes would also need to be made. This is how you make them:








They dry on low for several hours. I underestimated the amount of time it would take, so I had to set my alarm for 3:00am to turn them off. It was worth it though! These flavor filled bits will last in the freezer up to 6 months. That is, if we don't eat them all first...

No comments:

Post a Comment